Thank you for checking out events coming up in Central Florida for your kids and family to enjoy. And, be sure to check out our Calendar Sponsors that allow us to keep this calendar rich with information for you. If you would like to list an event on our site, just scroll to the bottom of this page to submit it. Thank you and enjoy!
Click on any of the ads for more information.
YMCA Free Swim Lessons
May 28 @ 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 4:00 pm, repeating until 05/31/2019
In support of National Drowning Prevention Month, the YMCA of Central Florida will host Safety Around Water week, from Tuesday, May 28 through Friday, May 31. This initiative is a YMCA nationwide effort to combat childhood drowning—a leading cause of death in kids under 4—by providing introductory water safety and drowning prevention lessons to children 4-12 years old. The YMCA of Central Florida is committed to providing access to this life-saving education by hosting lessons at the following seven Ys in Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Lake, Brevard and Marion Counties:
- Cocoa YMCA
- South Orlando YMCA
- Frank DeLuca YMCA (Ocala)
- Titusville YMCA
- Golden Triangle YMCA (Tavares)
- Wayne Densch YMCA (Pine Hills)
- Osceola County YMCA (Kissimmee)
“According to the USA Swimming Foundation, 79 percent of kids from low-income families have little-to-no swimming ability,” said Rowdy Gaines, YMCA of Central Florida Vice President of Aquatics and a three-time Olympic gold medal swimmer. “This is why, we’re focusing on closing that gap and providing lessons to families in underserved communities across Central Florida. Teaching children how to be safe in and around water is not a luxury; it is a necessity, especially here in Central Florida. Every parent and child deserves to feel confident and safe in and around the water.”
Safety Around Water Week lessons will cover the following topics:
- Exercises to help kids adjust to being in the water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim” survival techniques that can help children if they find themselves in a potentially life-threatening situation in the water
- Lessons on safety topics for parents, such as what to do if you see someone in the water who needs help
- Fun activities to reinforce swimming and survival skills
Would you like to list an event on our site?
There are so many events in Central Florida, that it’s difficult to list them all. We’ve created the guides below to find additional events around Central Florida that happen regularly. Just click on anyone of the guides for more information.